LCE Header
A University of Alabama Law School Clinical Program funded in part by West Alabama Regional Commission

Advance Health Care Decisions

Powers of Attorney

Wills, Trusts, Estates


Long Term Care Financing

Income Assistance

Nursing Home Issues

Other Consumer Issues:

Insurance (non-health)
Credit Cards
Identity Theft

2(c) Surrogate provisions if there is no advance directive

If a dispute arises over whether or not to withhold, withdraw or provide life-sustaining treatment and the patient indicated no choice, it is possible for a family member or other interested party to request that a surrogate decision-maker be appointed. The statute sets out the order of priority of appointment and exactly what must be done. The procedure is somewhat clumsy but if a patient has not made choices, it is a way to proceed that can be less expensive and painful for a family than a court proceeding.

The surrogate form can be found, with some patience, in the Alabama Administrative Code at Section 420-5-19.-.01. This is in the Public Health section of the AAC. ( Cursor down to 420-5-19-Advance Directive. That will bring up the Surrogate form.

Go back




About Us | Legal Services in your Area | Links | Disclaimer | Home
Copyright © 2001, 2004 Jo Alison Taylor

LCE Logo

Caring for those who cared for us