SETTING UP A CLASS
- Make sure you have an updated list of your class roll that includes current e-mail addresses. The Registrar’s Office can confirm that your class roll is complete and correct.
- Go to uasystem.zoom.us and sign in using your law school e-mail address and the password you created for zoom or choose “Forgot Password” and enter your law school email address”
- Click on “Host a Meeting” in the upper right hand corner.
- Invite students to join as participants (two options)
- Option 1 (invite by e-mail)
- Click on “Invite” at the bottom of your screen.
- Click “Email” for the method of invitation and enter the e-mail addresses of your students (note: you should only have to do this once).
- Option 2 (send out meeting #)
- Click on “Invite a Room System” at the bottom of your screen.
- Send the Meeting ID that appears to your students (should be a 9 digit number). This meeting ID should stay the same for all meetings you host going forward.
- Before holding a session, I highly recommend you check the “Audio” settings that appear on the bottom left-hand corner of your screen. You can click on the arrow that appears next to the microphone icon and “test” your audio settings. If either the microphone or the speaker does not work, you may want to reboot your computer; this solves a surprisingly large number of issues.
- While you can “mute” all students upon entry, you may prefer ask the students to mute themselves so that they will retain the ability to unmute themselves and ask questions
CONDUCTING A CLASS
- To record the class (highly recommended), click “Record” at the bottom of your screen.
- Conduct your class as you normally would, while taking care to speak into the microphone.
- If you would like to share what is on your screen (e.g., Powerpoint slides) with the class:
- Select “Share Screen” at the bottom of your screen
- Click on the Screen you would like to share, then click “Share”s
- If you’d like to call on a student:
- Click on “Manage Participants” at the bottom of your screen
- A list of participants will appear on the right side of your screen- click the microphone icon next to the name of the student you would like to call on; this will unmute the student
- Press the microphone icon again to remute the student
- Students can use the “chat” feature to ask questions; this may be best with a large class
- When you are done, click on “End Meeting” in the lower right hand corner.
If you have any questions while using this software, please contact the Technology Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-348-4347.