You can check your law school email via the web at https://webmail.law.ua.edu, this is also the address of the server you will enter into a smartphone. Our server space is limited, so law school email accounts are limited to 100 MB, and attachment sizes are limited to 10 MB.
Connecting to Gmail
You can check your law school email through Google’s Gmail and many other web based email services using POP3. Below are instructions for Gmail, instructions for other services will be similar.
For Receiving Mail through POP:
- Click Settings via the at the top of the settings page, then choose “Accounts and Import”
- Under “Check mail using POP3” Click “Add POP3 email account” button (on UA’s crimson system, this is called “Add accounts you own”)
- Enter full @law.ua.edu email address then “next”
- Enter Username: (firstname.lastname only, without @law.ua.edu) and password (remember to change this if you update your law school password)
- POP Server: webmail.law.ua.edu, use Port 995
- Check “Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.
- Note: Check your junk mail folder regularly after setting this up and mark messages as “not junk” to train the filter.
- Note: If you check “Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server”, be sure to delete messages manually from webmail.law.ua.edu to make sure your law school email account does not fill up, we have limited space. You may also want to check “Label Incoming Messages” at this point.
Sending email as your law school account in Gmail
Under Accounts and Import in gmail’s settings
Send through webmail.law.ua.edu:
- SMTP Server webmail.law.ua.edu (your law school username and password)
- Port 587
- Secured connection using TLS