Skip to main content

Certificate in Governmental Affairs

Recognizing the heritage of the University of Alabama School of Law as a training ground for leaders of our state and nation’s legislative, executive and judicial branches, the Law School is pleased to offer its students the opportunity to obtain a certificate in governmental affairs.  In order to receive the certificate:

1.         Students must successfully complete either the Federal Externship or a state government externship approved by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.   The Associate Dean shall not approve a state governmental affairs externship for purposes of completing this requirement unless a significant portion of the extern’s responsibilities relate to the process of policy development.  Neither judicial externships nor externships with prosecutors will usually qualify to fulfill the externship requirement; and

2.         Students must complete (i) either Legislation or Political and Legislative Writing or Legislative Drafting and (ii) Administrative Law; and

3.         Students must complete 12 credit hours from any of the following elective courses (These courses relate to the functioning of governmental institutions, acquaint the students with tools that are useful in doing policy analysis or provide important policy background to matters that are frequently the subject of legislation:

Law School Courses: Antitrust (LAW 684); Democratic Institutions (LAW 7310); Education Law (LAW 731); Environmental Law I (LAW 702); Health Care Law (LAW 696); Health Care Liablity (LAW 815); Human Rights Law (LAW 819); Immigration Law (LAW 655); Immunity Doctrine (LAW 764); Judicial Opinion Drafting (LAW 715); Law & Economics (LAW 723); Law & Public Policy (LAW 731); Law & Religion (LAW 719); Perspectives on Citizenship (LAW 731); Public International Law (LAW 710); Reproductive Rights (LAW 731); Securities Regulation (LAW 709); Water Law (LAW 690); Employment Law (LAW 631);

4.         Students who wish to count courses not designated as elective courses may petition the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.  The petition shall explain how the particular course relates to the government service the student wishes to pursue.  Credit for elective coursework will not normally be given for courses taught by adjunct faculty.